Reasonable Accommodation


If you have any special needs or have family members with special needs, you may request a reasonable accommodation in order to have equal access to the programs and services of the Section 8 Program.

A reasonable accommodation is a change to a policy or procedure that ensures people with disabilities have equal access to CHAs program.  A request for reasonable accommodation must be directly related to the disability and must not cause CHA to waive essential program regulations or impose an undue administrative and financial burden to CHA.  CHA is required to consider all requests but is not obligated to approve every request.  If a family wishes to request an accommodation, they may do so at any time, including during initial application, while they live in a unit subsidized by the CHA, and even during termination procedures.

 Examples of some reasonable accommodation requests include, but are not limited to:

  • Assistance when filling out forms for the CHA
  • Granting extended time for finding appropriate housing (voucher extension).
  • Approving an additional bedroom in a unit for a live-in aide.


To request an accommodation, you simply need to make CHA aware of your request.  This may be done in writing.  CHA will need a release, consent, or other related form to be signed by you in order to verify the requested accommodation.  However, CHA will assist you in completing any forms we may need. 

Once you submit a request to CHA, the request will be reviewed and a decision will be rendered within a reasonable time and typically within 30 days.  If additional information is required or information essential to a decision is missing, it will take additional time to come to a decision, and you may be contacted to provide the necessary information.  Such information may include certification from a knowledgeable professional (i.e. physician, nurse, psychiatrist, etc.) about your disability or the need for the accommodation.  


Most owners and property managers are covered by some of the same laws that CHA abides by, so they also must consider reasonable accommodation requests.  Owners and property managers may have different processes for considering requests.  They must consider your request for accommodations even if you do not “look like” you have a disability.  Common types of reasonable accommodations might include asking for an assistance or service animal when the owner has a no pets policy or asking for a physical modification to your unit.

Reasonable Accommodation, Questionnaire

Reasonable Accommodation, Live-In Aide Request

Reasonable Accommodation, Live-In Aide Certification

Reasonable Accommodation, Third-Party Verification

Reasonable Accommodation, Request for Payment Standard Increase

Reasonable Accommodation, Rent from Relative Request