Families on the voucher program can choose to select their own housing location within Caribou Housing Authority’s jurisdiction. The CHA pays a portion of an eligible family’s rent each month directly to the landlord, and the family pays between 30 and 40 percent of their household income toward rent. CHA provides rental assistance to more than 180 households.
Here are the steps to participate in the Section 8 Program:
- Apply and Attend Initial Interview
- Attend Voucher Briefing
- Locate a Unit and Use Your Voucher
- Await Inspection Results
- Sign Lease & Move Into Your Unit
- Pay Your Rent Portion & Utilities
- Comply with HUD & Caribou Housing Authority rules and regulations
APPLY FOR THE WAITING LIST
When a family wishes to receive assistance, the family must submit an application, when the waiting list is open. CHA selects applicants from the waiting list based on date/time application received, and prefernces. When a voucher and funding becomes available, the next family at the top of the waiting list is contacted and screened for eligibility.
Currently CHA’s Waiting List is OPEN.
To apply for the Section 8 Waiting List, you can:
- Apply directly on-line at https://www.affordablehousing.com/mainecwl
- Pick up an application at 25 High Street, Caribou, Maine,
- Call (207) 493-4234 to request that an application be mailed to you.
Applicant families must meet the following eligibility requirements to qualify for the program:
• Meet HUD’s definition of family
• Meet income limits specified by HUD
• Qualify on the basis of citizenship or the eligible immigrant status
• Provide social security number information
• Sign required consent forms
• Pass screening process
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For more information on Section 8 Eligibility, please see the Caribou Housing Authority’s Administration Plan.