Portabilty Process


Portability is the process that allows an eligible Section 8 applicant or participant to move anywhere in the United States where there is a housing agency operating the federal HCV program.


Portability Move Out (Port Out) is when an eligible family moves from Caribou Housing Authority’s jurisdiction to another housing authority’s jurisdiction.

If you wish to Port Out, you must contact your Housing Specialist in writing to advise of the request.

  • Your Housing Specialist will determine if you are eligible.
  • Applicants must have received their voucher and lived in Caribou Housing Authority’s jurisdiction when they are pulled from the waiting list.
  • Participants must be eligible to receive a voucher to move.
  • If eligible, your paperwork will be emailed or mailed to the new housing agency.
  • Once your paperwork is sent to the new agency, you must follow all their policies and rules.


Portability Move In (Port In) is when an eligible family moves from another city or county into Caribou Housing Authority’s jurisdiction.

If you wish to Port In to CHA’s jurisdiction, you must contact your current housing agency.

  • Your current housing agency determines if you are eligible to move to CHA’s jurisdiction.
  • Portability paperwork can be sent by mail or faxed, see contact information below.
  • Once your portability paperwork is received, you will be contacted for an intake appointment.

After your paperwork is processed, you will be invited to a briefing appointment where you will receive your voucher.

If you require further information. Please email our Portability Specialist at info@caribouhousing.org