Move Process

Participants in Caribou Housing Agency’s Seciton 8 Program can transfer their assistance from one rental unit to another. There are three steps to the move process: Intent to Vacate, Receiving the Voucher and Submitting the Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA) packet.


Prior to moving out of your current unit, you must serve a notice to the owner/landlord and to CHA and the move must be approved by both.

  • You must serve a proper 30-day notice to the owner/landlord and provide CHA a copy. A proper notice must:
    • Be a written notice addressed to the owner or landlord,
    • Include the actual move-out date, and
    • Be signed by the tenant.
  • Your Housing Specialist will review the notice to confirm your eligibility to move.
  • You may not be eligible to move if you are still in a lease term, violated a family obligation, or owe CHA money.
  • If you need an extension on your move-out date, you must submit a written request to your Housing Specialist 10 days before the actual move-out date. This request must be signed and dated by both the owner/landlord and participant.

If the family remains in unit after the effective move-out date, the family will be responsible for paying the full contract rent to the owner.


The voucher is the document which provides verification that you are receiving assistance and are eligible to move.

  • If you are eligible to move, you will receive written notification when your voucher is available for pick up.
  • The head of household will have to come to the office to sign the voucher.
  • The voucher is issued for 60 days.


The RFTA packet is the document that advises CHA which unit you would like to rent.

  • When you sign your voucher, you will also receive your RFTA packet.
  • Once you find a unit you wish to rent, provide the packet to the owner or landlord of the property.
  • The owner/landlord will complete the packet and both the owner/landlord and tenant will sign the packet.
  • Once the RFTA packet is complete, it must be submitted to CHA.
  • Once the RFTA packet is received by CHA, a Housing Specialist will review the information.
  • Upon approval of the RFTA packet, the New Contract Inspection of the unit will be scheduled
  • Rent reasonableness will be determined and the owner/landlord will be contacted if necessary.

You may only have one RFTA packet at a time.